Re: installing a printer

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> hello all!
>
> this is a question that comes from a windows user shifting to linux.
>
> i have debian 3.0 installed, up and running.
>
> i recently have attached an hp710c printer to the lpt1 port. and i do
> not have any set-up cds, floppies, etc.

Be aware that lpt1 = lp0 in linux.  Real geeks begin couning at zero
(^8.  You shouldn't need any drivers for this printer.  I think lpr,
lprng, and CUPS all have good default ppd's for it.

> windows way of 'installing' the printer would be to add printer in
> printer folder and so on.
>
> how do i do it in linux? is there a simple way of doing it?

Start at linuxprinting.org - they have fairly comprehensive overviews of
the various print systems available.  Overall, I recommend CUPS for
someone just beginning (That does not mean it is limited, though).  It
has a very easy web interface for configuration.

> and how do i 'install' networed printers? printers connected to our
> lan that runs on winnt?
>
> can i choose default printer, etc like i used to do in windows?

If something is connected to a Win box, you'll want to look into the
various parts of samba - there's smbclient, IIRC a client for printing,
etc.

For the future, apt-cache search 'topic (printing|mail|etc)' will return
some useful results.  Google will help elaborate.

HTH,
Steve

--
I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day cause that means
it's going to be up all night.  -- Steven Wright