Re: what is failing? fetchmail or exim?

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> hello all

Hello again

> so far, i have set up exim properly. it is able to send messages. i also
> used fetchmailconf and it created a .fetchmailrc file in ~. i have
> checked and there is no .procmailrc or .forward file in ~.
>
> .fetchmailrc:
>
> # Configuration created Fri Oct 25 13:38:42 2002 by fetchmailconf
> set postmaster "sandip"
> set bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> set daemon 5
> poll 192.168.100.1 with proto POP3
>       user 'deshmukh' there with password 'xxx' is 'deshmukh' here

Looks good.

> etc.
>
> now, here is output of fetchmail -c:
>
> 5 messages for deshmukh at 192.168.100.1 (17323 octets).
> etc.
>

> now, at this time, /var/log/exim/mainlog does not contain any
> information regarding fetchmail's attempts. i wonder how does fetchmail
> -c not get logged in /var/log/exim/mainlog
>
> now, finally, hoping that fetchmail will get the messages for me, i ran
> fetchmail. here is what i get in /var/log/exim/mainlog:
>
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient deshmukh@localhost
> from <debian-user-request@lists.debian.org> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient deshmukh@localhost
> from <debian-user-request@lists.debian.org> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient deshmukh@localhost
> from <debian-user-request@lists.debian.org> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient deshmukh@localhost
> from <debian-user-request@lists.debian.org> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip
> 2002-10-29 12:15:13 verify failed for SMTP recipient deshmukh@localhost
> from <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> H=localhost [127.0.0.1] U=sandip

exim is saying it couldn't verify who deshmukh@localhost is.  This means
that since you don't have a user account named 'deshmukh' (appears to be
sandip, am I right?) exim doesn't know who to deliver the mail to.

Do this:
mailq or exim -bp will tell you about all the frozen messages in exim's
queue - should be a good many by now.

If so, add an entry to /etc/aliases like 'deshmukh: sandip' and run
`exim -qff`.  That'll force a delivery attempt for all frozen mail, and
it should now go to your sandip account.  Then fix your .fetchmailrc and
remove the no longer needed line from /etc/aliases.

> now, /var/mail/sandip is a 0byte file. there is no mbox file in ~.
>
> is it that exim is playing the spoilsport? any remedies?

See above.

> thanx
>
> - sandip

HTH,
Steve

--
Humor in the Court:
Q: Could you see him from where you were standing?