Re: Playing sound over the network

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:32:55PM +0100, Michael Schulze wrote:
> > So, is there a way of getting /dev/dsp (or whatever) to be forwarded
> > over the network, so that I can play stuff locally with apps not
> > having to know that any jiggery-pokery is going on?
>
> i once used esound (Enlightened Sound Daemon) to forward sound over the
> network. i.e. xmms comes with a output plugin for esound.

Thanks Michael, but I'm really looking for something not tied into a
gui, not needing any userspace programs to even know it's there.  Maybe
a kernel patch, or summat.

Don't mind if the server box is running something hefty, but I'd like to
keep things tight and lean on the client box ...

Any takers?

-- jc

It may stop, it may not.  And stop calling me "dj".