Playing sound over the network

Hi list -

I've got one server/music box attached to my hifi, networked to my main
work box.

My main box /has/ got a soundcard attached, but I'd really like to avoid
having to compile soundcard support in to the kernel.  Also, it's got
on-board AC97, which I gather is a PoS.

So, is there a way of getting /dev/dsp (or whatever) to be forwarded
over the network, so that I can play stuff locally with apps not
having to know that any jiggery-pokery is going on?

It's a 10Mbps network, so bandwidth isn't /really/ a problem.  The
lower, the better, of course ...

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

cheers,
-- jc

--
It may stop, it may not.  And stop calling me "dj".