USB external modems

Hi everybody

I was unfortunate enough (or naive) to get a laptop
with a winmodem inside. I then considered  to buy an
external modem; I read lot about modems and I decided
to buy an external serial port modem. So far so good,
until I realized that my laptop does not come with any
serial port for modems.

Therefore, I had to think about a USB modem. However,
it is said that USB external modems do not work with
linux. On the contrary, there are few other places
where it is said that USB external modems DO work with
linux.

Anybody (by chance) has (or knows anyone who has) an
USB external modem working with linux (debian)?

thanks lor for your patience

Rhodri