Re: Questions about custom kernels

from my dmesg:
---------snip----------
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: I/O, IRQ, and DMA are mandatory
MIDI Loopback device driver
Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.19, 19:18:39 Oct 14 2002
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0b.0
emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 7 model 0x8061 found, IO at 0xd000-0xd01f, IRQ 5
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7608 (SigmaTel STAC9708)
emu10k1: SBLive! 5.1 card detected
----------snip----------

all i did was select "emu10k1 (might have even been listed as SB
Live!)" during my make menuconfig and midi and oss support... i assume
you assign the address and other info somewhere, and I have no module
support which makes the kernel smaller.  I am using 2.4.19 and it works
great!  Sorry though, I didnt use dpkg I went from sources on
kernel.org.
HTH
Shawn
P.S. I didnt see that you installed libncurses and libncurses-dev - you
will need those for make menuconfig.