Re: nfs server newbie question

On  0, Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote:

> Within a small SOHO LAN I'd like to serve up my /home directory from
> one particular box with basic install of Debian 3.0 on it.
>
> Aside from my making the following entry into a /etc/exports file ...
>
> /home/myhomedirectory      192.168.1.0/24(rw)
>
> what else needs to be done?
>
> lsmod shows that 'nfs' and 'nfsd' are both there but unused.
>
> dpkg -l |grep nfs shows 'nfs-common' only. Do I need 'nfs-kernel-server'
> too in order for this to work?  Or is 'nfs-common' sufficient?
>
> If I 'ps -ef|more' and look through the entries, I can see portmap but
> no nfsd.  But if I look in /etc/rc2.d I can see an entry of
> 'S21nfs-common' although nowhere do I see an entry of 'S??nfsd'.  Is
> that what's needed?

You need either nfs-kernel-server or nfs-server.  I use nfs-server,
but I'm not sure why I chose that, and I think I'll change to the
kernel server before too long.  After that, there shouldn't be
anything else you need to reconfigure.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Never be irreplacable:  If you are irreplacable then you are unpromotable.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au