Re: dual-booting with debian

--- Charles Thomas Harris <harrisct@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I currently use redhat linux, but I am interested in trying debian
> linux.
> I am a graduate student and have recently purchased a laptop with
> Windows 2000, which I need for research applications.  However, I
> would
> like to dual boot the machine with debian.  The linux boxes I
> maintain are devoted to linux, so I'm not too familiar with dual
> booting.  Where can I find the necessary documentation for this task?

I dual boot win2k and debian using "grub"... you can look at the grub
pages at http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html
in a quick browse of "The Linux Documentation Project" i found
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Win9x+Grub-HOWTO/index.html
the process for win9x and win2k are basically identical, i would
recommend having your win2k CD handy in case you manage to overwrite
the win2k Boot Sector: you boot to console/recovery mode and run fixmbr
and fixboot, then reinstall grub.  I have it working flawlessly now,
but hardware on laptops is always a different challenge, mine is a
Desktop.

HTH
Shawn

=====