Re: no cd-sound but es1370 works

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 the mental interface of
Stephen Gran told:

> This one time, at band camp, Elimar Riesebieter said:
> > On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 the mental interface of Christian Mascher
> > told:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm Debian Newbie (two weeks). This is my first message posted
> > > with mutt, hoping I got exim and fetchmail etc. working
> > > yesterday (with smarthost ISP).
> > >
> > > As to the subject question: module es1370 is started at bootup
> > > and finds the sound card (actually creative sound-blaster
> > > audiopci 64v). I can hear some sounds in kde or gnome or even
> > > some weird noise ;-) when doing # cat /bin/ls > /dev/dsp as
> > > someone suggested shortly, although the sound is always in a
> > > very low volume. esd is running.
> > >
> > > But I want to play an audio cd. Tried this first with gnome
> > > cd-applet, but it doesn't do anything, not even eject etc.
> > > Never found a KDE-CD-player (wasn't there one supplied a few
> > > years ago?). Then I installed cdcd and started it with # cdcd
> > > -d /dev/hdd (which is my CD-ROM-drive) It does everything
> > > expected, ejects, shows me the tracks, even starts playing
> > > (according to led) -- but I can't hear anything.
> >
> > Make sure you're member of groups audio and cdrom.
>
> I believe he is, as he can hear some sounds, and can cat to
> /dev/dsp.

If you are not a member of cdrom you can hear sounds and cat to
/dev/dsp. Christian wants tu use the cdrom device as an audio one,
so he must be a member o group cdrom ;-)

> It sounds like your mixer settings are too low, if everything is
> really quiet.  Try `apt-cache search mixer` to see a list of
> available mixers, so you can raise and lower volume settings.  I
> use aumixer, but YMMV.

I agree!

Ciao

Elimar

--
  Never make anything simple and efficient when a way
  can be found to make it complex and wonderful ;-)