Re: two more architectures?

Oleg said:
> Hi
>
> Why doesn't Debian add two more architectures: P4 and Athlon4? A bit more
>  space will be used on Debian mirrors, but the bandwidth will not
> increase  (unless more people start using Debian) and the extra
> maintenance in most  cases will be limited to CPU-specific compiler
> options. The obvious advantage  is the speed increase from better
> optimizations.

I don't see how those could be considered architechures. they run
the same instruction sets.

and it wouldn't be a bit more space, it'd be a LOT more space. running
my own debian mirror for my former company just i386 for testing and
stable last I checked was nearly 25GB(including source). the security
tree was quite a bit less though. I would expect if someone were to
add 2 more trees it would take another 15-20GB. Disk space may be cheap
on some low end systems but if you want a reliable system that means
raid, and usually also means SCSI. My former company had one of their
6-disk raid-10 boxes powered by 3ware kernel panic because of a failed
disk this past week, so I am not convinced that IDE raid is reliable
just yet.

nate