Re: Visualizing debian releases

I like the idea.  I presume the X-axis is time and Y is number of
packages (functionality).  The picture seems correct to me, would be
good to quantify both axis with the real data (the number of packages
and release dates can relatively easily be backtracked, I bet).

Another interesting thing to visualise and/or explain in text might be
distributions-users:

effort required
to configure

 |              #
 |        x #
 |     #
 | #    x
 |x x
 +--------------- amount of deviation of the standard config

 with x plotting RH and # plotting Debian

Hence, in my view, users go from plain user -> power user -> contributor
-> co-developer (of some OSS project).  In this evolution, lots of users
start at SuSE or RedHat and end up at Debian or Slackware.  That could
be explained by
- The mainstream distro's work out of the box and provide GUI's for
  limited configuration.  However, their /etc is a mess.
- Debian and Slackware provide less GUI's but have a much more cleaned
  up /etc for instance.

Perhaps this might help getting a bit less often that never-ending
debate on which distro rules the most. ;-)

Auke