Re: Visualizing debian releases

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 18:30:12 +0200, Johan Ehnberg wrote:
> To present how the different debian releases are related, I'd like to
> visualize with a graph. The graph represents package versions (and
> overall functionality):

I suspect the following may be a bit clearer:

sid-------------------------------------------
         \                 \
          \                 \
           \                 === etch ========
            \
             \
              == sarge ======·····| 3.1 ******

woody ========···| 3.0 ***********|###########
                 |                |
                 |                |
2.2 potato ******|################| [moved of to archive.debian.org]
                 |                |
                 |                |
                 %                $

where "-" == unstable    "|" == release of a new stable
      "=" == testing     "%" == release of woody as 3.0
      "*" == stable      "$" == release of sarge as 3.1
      "#" == oldstable   "\" == branching of of a new testing release; older
                                testing (···) slowly frozen to stability

This should hopefully illustrate how sid will remain unstable, while all
other distributions start as new testings branched from unstable and later
move on to become stable and finally oldstable.

HTH,
Ray
--
People don't respond to any events as real people facing events would.
Otherwise, only one company would ever have installed Microsloth software.