Re: Install one from testing

On Mon Oct 28, 2002 at 01:10:49AM +1100, the boisterous
Russell <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au>
wrote to me:
> However, it's not debianized, so i thought of
> using checkinstall:
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/checkinstall.html

I'm not aware of checkinstall, but maybe you look for something like
stow. It's in stable and I use it whenever I have to compile something
from source. Only thing you have to do is
$ ./configure; make
# make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/app-ver
# cd /usr/local/stow
# stow app-ver

stow will symlink all files to /usr/local and you have the benefit of
a program file directory ;-).

> But checkinstall is in testing. How can i apt-get it without
> having to set up all that pinning stuff? (i'm only set up
> for stable).

apt pinning is your friend ;-)

add following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb     http://your.favourite.mirror.com/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

add file /etc/apt/apt.conf and add:
APT::Default-Release "stable";

then you should run:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install checkinstall/testing

For checkinstall, this should work fine.

So long
Thomas

--
  ___    Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around.
_/___\     - W. Richard Stevens