ftp 500 Illegal PORT command

I used to use debian woody to:
ftp upload.attbi.com
to update my web page, and it worked fine.
Now I am running debian testing on different hardware,
but ftp gives gives an error with attbi:
ftp> ls
500 Illegal PORT command.
ftp: bind: Address already in use

>From debian testing, I can ftp to other nodes inside my firewall,
but not to upload.attbi.com.
If I use ftp with RedHat73, then it works.

I looked at archives for this error, and a suggestion was made to check:
(su) lsof -i TCP:21

This command gives different results for debian testing and redhat,
for debian testing I get no output,
for redhat I get:
COMMAND PID USER FD  TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
xinetd  928 root  7u IPv4   1226       TCP *:ftp (LISTEN)

I have attached /etc/inetd.conf for debian testing.
What do I need to change to get ftp working with debian testing?

TIA,
Dennis Krinke

# cat /etc/inetd.conf
# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#
# Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "#<off>#" should not
# be changed unless you know what you are doing!
#
# If you want to disable an entry so it isn't touched during
# package updates just comment it out with a single '#' character.
#
# Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8)
#
#
#:INTERNAL: Internal services
#echo           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#echo           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#chargen        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#chargen        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
discard         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
discard         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
daytime         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#daytime        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time            stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#time           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

#:INFO: Info services
ident           stream  tcp     wait    identd  /usr/sbin/identd
identd

#:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers."

#:RPC: RPC based services

#:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services

#:OTHER: Other services
391002/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/sbin/famd fam