finally find what's wrong !

Cyberthor wrote:

Donald R. Spoon wrote:

Cyberthor wrote:

   *
 Hello ,

About 3wks ago i bought new debian 2.2 so i use kernel 2.4 , cuz
     of old pc use old mobo with isa slot ,anyway
wvdial at text edit or terminal wont be success , after i tried with lspci , dpkg-reconfigure pppconf , and ln -sf /dev/port/dev/modem wont repsone then i tried with wvdial wont repsone , then lists at terminal say modem initialized but configuration does not specify
      a valid phone number , too login name and password ?
           So i use 56 k  pure modem ( not winmodem) and use both kde ,
       and gnome                how i solve problem wiht wvdial ?
thank , Cyber
*

There are several possibilities that will require further information. I am not familiar with what "ln -sf /dev/port /dev/modem" does for you. I have never used it.

Both WVDIAL and PPPCONFIG programs will auto-detect the proper serial port for you, so the soft link is NOT necessary IF you have it on either /dev/ttyS0 (comm1) or /dev/ttyS1 (comm2). This applies to both internal ISA modems as well as external modems attached to one of the serial ports.

If you are using an internal ISA modem, then it is important to have the serial port used devoted completely to the modem. You should turn off the "built-in" UART for the associated serial port in your BIOS so that the modem can have it free and clear.

The best internal ISA modem in my opinion is one with jumpers so you can "hardwire" it to use a specifice serial port. A lot I have seen don't have this capability and are essentially "Plug and Play" or come configured for PnP from the factory. If your modem is set up as a "PnP" internal ISA modem, then you could be having problems getting it initialized to the proper IO and IRQ for the serial port you want to use. Linux doesn't handle PnP on the ISA bus unless you have a 2.4.X series kernel or use an add-on package called isapnptools. I cannot advise you on this until I have some more information about your setup, and specifically your modem.

In order to proceed in a logical manner, I would suggest you do the following:

1.  remove the soft link mentioned above.

2.  As "root" run the command:  wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
It should autodetect your modem and ask you 3 questions about your ISP's telephone number, your login name at your ISP, and your password. If all this is sucessful, give WVDIAL a try and see what happens.

3. If the above fails, please supply some more information... specifically about your modem. Brand, Model, ISA or PCI, Internal or External, etc.

Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-

*Hello

Let you know that my pure modem <usrobotic 56k v90 big pci card , so soundblaster bit16 sat on one isa slot , anyway modem with ttyS2 already detected includes bauds but wvdial at text edit said * modem initialized but configuration does not specify a valid phone number , too login name and password ? anyway i tired with ln -sf /dev/port/dev/modem then hit and there's no repsond then back : lynx:/home /........# , thank , Cyber

*  Hello *

i found out that wvdial version was olddate of 1.41 version so i will get d/l of new date wvdial verison 1.53

thanks for try best

Cyber