Re: mail in linux

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 09:36, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

> this is what i had been doing. the problem is that all mail clients
> fetch mails. many of them i delete. i would prefer to download only
> headers, delete headers off the server and download only the messages i
> need. any way to set it up?
Earlier posts already answered this to be impossible, I believe.

> my .fetchmailrc seems to be doing it properly. i have tried fetchmail
> -c. it runs withour errors.
>
> i am new to procmail, but may be i can do some reading here and use it
Have a look at Nancy McGough's "Procmail quick start" [1].

> can i use mozilla to read mail fetched by fetchmail?
>
> i had been trying it without much success.
>
> this is interesting but way too ahead for me
>
> well, anything that will help me is welcome

Reading your mail from mozilla is just a matter of delivering it to a
mailbox in the proper format, see [2] for an explanation and examples. I
have never used Mozilla but I'm pretty sure it uses mbox format, like
Netscape and, hence, your procmail rules should look like the left-most
examples in the table.  E.g. to filter debian-user traffic to the
~/mail/in-l-debian-user mailbox, you might have a procmail rule like
this:
        :0
        * ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user@lists\.debian\.org
        in-l-debian-user
Be aware though, with procmail you're entering the powerful but
challenging world of regular expressions... ;-)

I'll send you my procmail and exim configuration (in private mail, don't
want to bother the list with attachments), that will probably help you
up to speed.

Auke

 1.  http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 2.  http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#mailboxFormats