Re: mail in linux

Auke Jilderda wrote:

- The simple setup comprises some mailclient (e.g. KMail,
 Mozilla/Netscape, Evolution, Mutt, and so on) fetch mails directly
 from your POP3 and IMAP accounts and sending mail through your ISP's
 mailserver.

this is what i had been doing. the problem is that all mail clients fetch mails. many of them i delete. i would prefer to download only headers, delete headers off the server and download only the messages i need. any way to set it up?

- The more flexible setup is most commonly found in UNIX: fetchmail
 fetching mail from various POP3 accounts and delivering it through the
 local mailserver (in my case Exim).

my .fetchmailrc seems to be doing it properly. i have tried fetchmail -c. it runs withour errors.

 Each user can have its mail
filtered through procmail rules to segregate the mails into different mailboxes.

i am new to procmail, but may be i can do some reading here and use it

 You can then use a mailclient to access those mailboxes

can i use mozilla to read mail fetched by fetchmail?

 and send your mails through your local mailserver.

i had been trying it without much success.

- You can take the mail setup one step further to gain location & client
 independence by accessing your mailboxes through an IMAP server (in my
 case courier-imap) on localhost. My reasons for wanting those two
 capabilities is that I want a text based client (Mutt) when on the
 road and without proper mouse and keyboard and a GUI client (KMail,
 Ximian Evolution, SquirrelMail) when at my dockingstation.

this is interesting but way too ahead for me

Ofcourse I can send you my config files and a more detailed description
of my setup if you'd like.

Auke

well, anything that will help me is welcome

-sandip