Re: Network card drivers on floppy disk

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 04:32:54PM -0700, EasyStreet wrote:
> I am running Debian 3 on a laptop PC.  A Dell
> Latitude XPi, Pentium 133.
>
> This laptop does not have a network card.
>
> I have this device on a PCMCIA card.

What happens when you put it into its slot? (I quickly googled for
information on this card, and there is some out there) I have a laptop,
and the drivers for its PCMCIA cards are automatically loaded upon
insertion of the card.

> I have downloaded the drivers from the website,
> Netgear FA411.
>
> The Linux folder came with 3 subfolders, labled:
> 6.1, 6.2, 7.0 (I assume that these refer to
> RedHat and that I would still choose the newest,
> 7.0)
>
> Each of these subfolders came with these files:
>
> 88790.C
> 88790.H
> 88790_CS.C
> CONFIG
> CONFIG.MK
> COPYCFG
> Makefile

Haha, you have the source... do you know how to compile it? Hopefully
some documentation came with it.

> I have put these files on a floppy disk, but I
> don't know how to get them copied to the laptop
> or how to access them on the floppy.

As a member of the floppy group:

  mount /floppy

> If anyone has any suggestions I would appriciate
> the help.

0)  Read all the documentation that came with the drivers.

1)  Install gcc, make, libc6-dev, and anything else that is needed for
    compilation of the drivers.

2)  Read the documentation for make. Read some of the other
    documentation too.

3)  Compile as stated by the README or other documentation that
    (hopefully) you have. If no documentation, read the Makefile to
    determine what to do (eg. "make all", "make install").

4)  Check for error messages.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com