Re: HD size limit ?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:09:26AM -0700, nate wrote:
>Kevin Coyner said:
>>
>> Is there a limit to the size of a IDE hard drive that Debian/Linux can
>> accomodate?
>>
>> I.e. there are some pretty good deals now on 120GB IDE hard drives.  I
>> just want to make sure I'm not buying something that I cannot use
>> 'easily'.
>
>the only limit is most likely that drives which require 48-bit addressing
>wouldn't be supported. that is usually..what 137GB?? these drives also
>require a newer controller in most cases. I remember reading about patches
>being available for 2.4.x but I haven't noticed whether or not those
>patches made it into the mainline kernel yet.

Hi,

How about external FireWire or USB2 drives?
I want to add one of those to my fileserver,
and I've found one by a company named LaCie that is 250GB!
Would that be handled by the kernel?
(I don't necessarily need to boot from it,
if such thing is posible at all...)

Many thanks for your advice!
Balazs