Re: 386 or 486 machine

Andrei Smirnov <uper_debian_user@mail.ru> writes:

> How you made it? The root.bin disk dosent load RAM disk image as for
> me.  And i got 3 different machines - one 386 and two 486. no one
> loads RAM disk

Oh. The one that worked for me is the idepci potato version, see:

<http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/idepci/>

This is with an 8MB 486DX/33 Machine.

> > The first build, though, had CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_LARGE_TABLES set, and
> > after the TCP notice in the kernel boot messages (TCP, ICMP, etc), I
> > was informed that something like 256 buckets were made, 4k. Then it
> > began looking for an internet device and modprobe became stuck in a
> > loop because it continued to run out of memory.

(This is in case anyone was wondering or if someone googles onto this
letter later on)

The problem was because I opted for the UNIX domain sockets (unix.o,
CONFIG_UNIX) to be a module when making a new kernel. This caused a
problem because various programs needed the domain sockets and the
domain sockets were not yet loaded by modprobe. This was easily
corrected by compiling them directly into the kernel.

Elizabeth