Re: A few Newbie Questions

(Ignoring ones I can't answer quickly)

Wathen, Metherion said:
> Hi and thanks for any help I receive in response to the following:
>
> 1.) How do you uninstall packages, so that you get more "free" space on
> your harddrive?
>     (exp. I used 'df -h' and seen that I had 200 mb free, I used dpkg
> uninstall some programs, ran df again and still only had 200 mb free.)

as root:

apt-get autoclean

> 2.) How do I modify swap partiton size without having to reinstall
> everything all over again?
>
> 3.) How do I change the clock time to the correct time?

as root:

date --set <current time>

then to change the bios time so the computer "remembers" after next reboot:

hwclock --systohc

> 4.) Is it possible to have the cdrom and floopy drives automatically
> mount without recompiling the kernel?
>
> 5.) How do I check if my sound card/drivers are working?
>     (exp. I have WindowMaker installed and sound events turned on but I
>     get
> no sound. I installed XMMS and it plays .cda, so how come no other
> sounds?)
>
> 6.) Where is there a mp3 plugin for XMMS? - do it need one?

Pretty sure it should "just work" if you open an mp3 in xmms

> 7.) Is there a GUI file manager for X, WindowMaker, Debian?

hmm... I know of nautilus for gtk/gnome, konqueror for qt/kde.... if you
don't want all the extra libraries... mc?? (midnight commander)

> 8.) Where should I put tarballs I've downloaded before running "gzip
> -dc"? Can I gzip from a cd to my harddrive? If so, how?
>
> 9.) How do I switch between color depths on the fly? "Ctl + Alt + +"
> seems to only switch resolutions.

Not sure this is possible... I hear there's something in xfree 4.3 which
will allow this, but 4.2 is *just now* making it into unstable, so I have no
idea when we'll see 4.3

> 10.) Do I need all 7 cd's to upgrade from potato to woody? Or can I
> just d/l the first cd?

You *could* do it all off the internet with *no* cd's. If you already have
Debian installed, as root run apt-setup, remove your cd source and add http
source. As root, run apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade; done (this
is one of the main reasons I love Debian).

Umm... http://linuxnewbies.org comes to mind.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator