Re: Xnest and fonts

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 01:01:04PM +0100, Rupert wrote......

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:50:42 +0100
> Rupert <rupert.debian@hotpop.com> wrote:
> > This may work for you:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > MCOOKIE=3D$(mcookie)
> > xauth add $(hostname)/unix$1 . $MCOOKIE
> > xauth add localhost/unix$1 . $MCOOKIE
> > Xnest $1&
> > ion -display $1
> > xauth remove $(hostname)/unix$1 localhost/unix$1
> >
> > exit 0

I had to do something slightly different to get mine to *finally* work:

1.  For some reason when my X starts, it sets the DISPLAY variable to
:0.0 rather than hostname:0.0.  One of the many info sources I read in
trying to figure this out said that it was imperative to properly set
DISPLAY before trying to use xauth.  So I did 'export
DISPLAY=myhostname:0.0 (I'm using dual monitors, so I did this again for
myhostname:0.1).

2.  The other difference from your script was in the xauth command.
To get it to work for me, I had to use:

xauth add $(hostname)/unix:1 . $MCOOKIE

Note the difference 'unix:1' vs 'unix$1'.

So in the end it finally works, although I still get that font related
err like you do.  I've appended by script below.  Many thanks for the
script, the web/bug report link, and the help in general.

Kevin

//-----
#!/bin/sh
MCOOKIE=3D$(mcookie)
xauth add $(hostname)/unix:2 . $MCOOKIE
xauth add localhost/unix:2 . $MCOOKIE
Xnest -geometry 1015x740+0+28 :2 &
sleep 1
fluxbox -display :2
xauth remove $(hostname)/unix:2 localhost/unix:2
exit 0
//-----

PS - I set up the second Xserver on 2 rather than 1 for no particular
reason.  Both work.  I also have Ion as my default wm, and this script
loads up Fluxbox so that I can do the GUI thinks I need with Gimp, etc.
Otherwise it's 95% of my time in Ion, which is really great.

--

Kevin Coyner
mailto: kevin@rustybear.com