Xnest and fonts

After all of the discussion about lightweight window managers, esp as
regards Ion and Ratpoision, I decided to give them all a try.

Ion has gone well, Ratpoision less so, but that's probably due to
personal preferences more than anything.

But in trying Xnest, I ran into a problem ... as per the man, I tried
the simple startup command of 'Xnest :1'.  It does bring up a next, but
I can't do anything with it.  No clicks and no buttons work.

Also, back in the xterm I used to launch Xnest, I get the following err
msg:

sakura:~$ Xnest :1
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!

Is this a showstopper and responsible for not being able to do anything
with the Xnest window that appears?

Would like to get this figured out as I really do like Ion and want to
use Xnest with fluxbox so I can use propgrams like GIMP.

Thanks
Kevin