Re: OT: Recommendations for Linux Distributions running on Intel-based Embeded Systems/Flash Disks

On 25 Oct 2002 14:15:24 +0200 "martin f krafft" <madduck@debian.org>
wrote:

> also sprach Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch@heitec.de> [2002.10.25.1334
> +0200]:
> > I admit that this is OT, but maybe someone has already tried (possibly
> > Debian-based distributions) that are available for free and work on
> > embedded Intel-based systems and accompanying flash disks?
>
> Debian GNU/Linux is your right choice. It can do everything you need
> and more. Please let us know if you want to follow up on this. We
> would be glad to provide you with answers to your questions.

Debian's never struck me as a distribution for embedded systems or for
installation on a flash disk.  Last I looked, the base installation of
Debian (nothing pulled from tasksel or dselect) was over 16 megs, I don't
see that as feasible for a flash disk based system.  While I'm a big fan
of Debian as a whole, this seems a bit like forcing a square peg into a
round hole.

Could Debian be made to work in the proposed situation?  Without a doubt.
Would it be the easiest or best solution, doubtful.

--
Jamin W. Collins