Garmin Street Pilot 3 and Debian?

I'm lookinmg for a GPS system to add to my new car.

I can't seem to find any aftermarket units that work like the OEM units, in
that the directly read the CD/DVD. I have found a nice looking unit from
Garmn called the Street pilot III. Problem is thta it expects you to
download the map data from a computer. Now it's likely that the software
they provide is windooze only, and I have no windoze machines.

has anyone figured out how to do this using Debian?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin