Re: Debian, too easy?

On October 24, 2002 11:45 am, UnKnown wrote:
> Yours its really one of the most intresting introspections that I
> have read on any of the debian lists.

Hehe, thanks.

> To beging with most of the
> people complayns on how hard is to work with debian compear with
> redhat or suse. Most say that it is a distro for gurus, or geeks
> who like dark and hiden knowledge, to do stuff that could be
> acomplish with a click under oder distros.

I have never understood those complaints.  Before I found debian I
tried Slackware (3.6 on a 486), Caldera, various versions of
mandrake, Connectiva, Redhat, and a few other distros that I dont
even remember.  Every single time I would go in with the intention of
finally switching from windows but would go back within a few days in
disgust.  I think the other distros make a good first impression with
their fancy installers but then get progressively worse.  Debian
makes a bad (in some opinions, I personally think its quite nice)
first impression but once you have muddled through the first few days
it just keeps on getting better and better.  As I mentioned before
I've been using it for about a year now and I still find at least one
new cool thing about it every few days that I didn't know about.
Its great.

> If I may give you an
> advice from my ignorance. YOU are the ferst one who cares for what
> you are lerning, what is really amazing from my point of view. And
> if you have all that doubts inside the best thing you can do is to
> lose them, get other distro, try suse, redhat, mandrake, lindows,
> or even slackware, one of the rougest.

Maybe I will eventually try Gentoo...  But not until I get a new
drive, I wouldnt want to take out my debian system for that..   On
the other hand, I also have a dusty install of Windows XP taking up
space....  :)

cheers,
leo