Re: switching between keymaps in X

alternatively, you can switch it from the command line (or make a
window manager shorcut to do the same), thus not needing to muck
with your X settings at all.  while i was in paris, i never really
got into the whole azerty keyboard thing, so i'd do:

setxkbmap us

which sets the keyboard layout to std. qwerty.  then to go back,

setxkbmap fr

also, there's a really cool applet in gnome (iirc, think it's gkb,
but i haven't used gnome in a while) that displays an image of the flag
for the place associated with said keyboard map, and you can set it up so
that when you click on it it switches the keyboard map.  this was really
great if your computer is going to be used by anyone less familiar with
cmdlines, or if you just want to say: "hey, watch this!" :).

hth
--sean