USB mouse problem

I'm having a USB mouse problem. When I boot up it looks
like all the modules I need are loaded correctly. When up
if I unplug and plug in the mouse I get kernel messages
telling me that the device is there and that it has an
address. When I try to cat /dev/input/mice it returns 'no
device'. This is a nforce chipset based mobo. A 2.4
kernel and sarge. It is a Logitech trackball which I have
had working on other machines with woody and 2.4 kernels
and under win2k (which I had to put on this box to get
stupid ATT cable to work) on this machine. Any thoughts
on how I might fix this? Thanks very much.

Ray