Re: which half are you in?

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 07:29, dave mallery wrote:
> hi list!
>
> there's a saying that all people are in two groups:
>
> those who have done an rm -R * in root
> and those who have not done it yet.
>
> last evening, i joined the former group after six years of linux and a
> lifetime of computing.
>
> one learns vast humility in milliseconds.  no matter how fast you hit a
> control/c, almost everything is gone... there are no programs left to
> run!
>
> unbelieveably, i did this rm -R as i was cleaning up after a new system
> backup.  i had been using mondo, but the mindi portion of it had stopped
> working a few weeks ago and was still dead.  (in testing, these things
> seem to clean up after a few weeks of upgrades)

I haven't managed to do it in Debian yet ( 3 weeks old ) or Mandrake the year
before.

But back in the days of good ol' Wonders98 and 98se I used to do the same
deliberately and of necessity as in format c: every several months.

Many years ago I did manage to get this award on a DEC RSTS/E system with
PIP *,BAK/DE (the DE switch meaning delete) which returned the error message
'NO SUCH FILE BAK' or something like that. D'oh.
Luckily the sysop had done a full tape backup the evening before. Phew!

Bob