Re: kernel patch howto

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 03:54:18PM -0700, np rpr wrote:

> > Secondly, how do I build this new kernel with the
> > patches for Freeswan?
> > I'm hunting thru the docs as I send the email.

  After copying your config file over, you can:
  % cd /usr/src/linux (or wherever you extract the kernel sources)
  % export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=yes (if using bash)
  % make-kpkg clean (don't have to do this for newly extracted source)
  % make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --revision=myfree.0.1 kernel_image

  That last command needs to run with fakeroot, or as root. The --config
switch runs the menuconfig after patching the source, so you can
configure your freeswan options.
  You will have a file /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.18_myfree.0.1_i386.deb
which you can install using dpkg. (That is, if you are using the 2.4.18
sources, on the i386 platform).

  Let me know if it works. That is the way you are supposed to be able
to do it, but for some reason it isn't working for me at the moment. (I
have done this before successfully though).

  Cheers
  Geoff Crompton