kernel patch howto

Hi,
I interested in setting up ipsec/l2tp on my woody box.
I'm unsure how to patch my kernel. Here's what I've done so far:

Installed woody with kernel 2.2
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18
Rebooted back into my new stock 2.4 kernel
apt-get install kernel-patch-freeswan
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18
apt-get install kernel-package

This is where I'm not sure what to do next:
I understand that I have to use make-kpkg somehow
to create my new custom_kernel.deb in which then I can
install by runnning
# dpkg -i custom_kernel.deb

However, how do I create my new custom kernel with my old .config
from my stock 2.4.18 kernel? I don't want to lose any kernel config settings
from the kernel-image-2.4.18.deb that I installed originally.

Secondly, how do I build this new kernel with the patches for Freeswan?
I'm hunting thru the docs as I send the email.

Thanks!

Mike