Re: exim configuration

Sandip P Deshmukh <deshmukh@escortsmumbai.com> writes:

> David A. Rogers wrote:
> >Yes your machine could send mail directly.
> >
> how! that was my question. even after reading the nag chapters, i am
> unable to handle this!

ok, so here comes a setup (this needs to go in the routers section)
that uses a smarthost for some domains that won't accept mail from
dialup users and uses direct delivery otherwise:

|smarthost:
|  driver = domainlist
|  transport = remote_smtp
|  route_list = "*.sourceforge.net smtp.my_isp.com bydns_a; \
|                some.other.domain.org smtp.my_isp.com bydns_a"
|  host_find_failed = "fail_soft"
|
|direct_smtp:
|  driver = domainlist
|  transport = remote_smtp
|  route_list = "* $domain bydns"

note that the order is important, i.e. the router labelled smarthost
will be tried first, if the recipient domain was not matched or the
smarthost was not found (that's what the "fail_soft" is for) it will
try the next router.

You need to understand that directors are used for local addresses
whereas routers are used for remote mail, trying each router until one
matches the conditions (route_list).

HTH, HAND,

Jens