Re: local Mail: naive question

Ofcourse you can go fo either the most simple setup or a more flexible
one.

Jeff is looking for a simple setup which would, in my humble opinion,
probably be some MUA (e.g. Mozilla) fetch mails directly from your POP3
and IMAP accounts and sending mail through your ISP's mailserver.

Nate described a much more flexible setup which I, in fact, have.  In my
setup, fetchmail fetches my mail from various POP3 accounts and delivers
it through Exim and procmail to the proper mailboxes.  The courier-imap
server provides access to the mailboxes, giving me both location and MUA
independence.  My reasons for wanting those two capabilities is that I
want a text based client (Mutt) when on the road and without proper
mouse and keyboard and a GUI client (KMail, Ximian Evolution,
SquirrelMail) when at my dockingstation.  Ofcourse I can send you my
config files and a more detailed description of my setup if you'd like.

In addition, it is wise to install a mailserver on your local machine if
only because lots of daemons would like to use it to tell you things.

Auke

--
PGP: 0x4A34DD6D, http://bunny.sourceforge.net/