Re: local Mail: naive question

Jerome BENOIT said:
> In fact I want to fetch my different POP boxes
> to my laptop and still read my email with a Mozilla
> which deals with POP or IMAP stuff:
> so I guess taht I have to install a POP stuff on my laptop.
> Does it sound reasonnable ?
> Is there a more orthodox way to do the job ?

it is probably cleanest to run a MTA(Postfix,Exim,Sendmail) and
a IMAP server locally(Courier, Cyrus, UW IMAP) and use something
like fetchmail to retrieve mail to the local system. Then use
mozilla to login to your local IMAP server to read email. this way
if you were to connect your laptop to a network you could access
your email on it from another system by logging into the IMAP
server.

you don't have to use mozilla, you can use any IMAP capabable
mail client. you could use pop3, but IMO its not as flexible or
as useful as IMAP(which really gets useful if you have unlimited
storage). Not a lot of clients on linux have good IMAP support.

I haven't done anything like this, all my email is done online
through squirrelmail(my dsl line hosts my email), but it should
work.

nate