Re: Software RAID in Woody --- General Issues

hi ya lucas

my raid tests...
	- pull the cable to the disk ...
	it should still boot and keep merrily working in degraded mode
	add a new file or two
	- put the cables back in and see if it resyncs the new file
	still not in the other "simulated dead disk"

	- reverse the disk failures and it should still keep working

- for /boot
	- its only needed in old bios that had a 1024 cylinder problem

	- i tend to always use /dev/hda1 128MB or 256MB
	( first partiton for rootfs ) and have never had a /boot problem..

- for /bin /boot /etc /dev /lib /sbin  ( root=fs )
	- keep that all mirrored too  or not
	( if its mirrored, its harder to build )

	- if the default linux system itself is NOT raided,
	than its 5 minutes to rebuild a new linux system ??
	( usually faster than rebuilding a new raid system )

	- ie how much down time can you hve if you have to rebuild
	it again from backups

- for /var /usr -- keep that mirrored tooif the rootfs is mirrored

- for /home  .. definitely mirror ( raid1 )  that ??
 ( the whole point of it ) ??

- even if data is mirrored, be sure to have other non-raid backup
  mechanisms

- more (software) raid tidbits  - commands too
	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/

- assuming you're doing an IDE based raid ...
==
== for the disks... dont bother with ibm disk deskstar drives for raid
== or any other use, its a major headache ... it will die faster than
== you expect
==

c ya
alvin