Software RAID in Woody --- General Issues

Hi List,

I'm looking at installing Software RAID on two new servers at work (one
web and one db server).  I'm really only interested in RAID-1 for it's
redundancy, I'm not particularily concerned about performance.  I've
gone through the Software RAID HOWTO and it seemed fairly straight
forward, however, I haven't managed to get things working and I have a
couple of questions and problems:

1)      Question: Is it important to have my boot partition (also my
root partition, I don't have a seperate /boot) as part of an array?  If
I want this array for redundancy, I would have thought this was
essential, but it looks like quite a difficult process.  Is it worth the
hassle of following the instructions in the HOWTO (which I find a bit
confusing and haved managed to botch up once already)?  Is there another
option for a fully redundant system?  If I just RAID my non-root
partitions, is this still fairly safe?

2)      Problem: I managed to get Software RAID working to an extent
when I compiled all the RAID kernel components as modules (at least I
was able to execute the 'mkraid' command to start constructing the array
on the /home partition) but it's stopped working since I compiled
support directly into the kernel.  This could just be me doing something
stupid, but I've checked my kernel configuration twice.

Any other RAID advice anyone can offer (redundancy related) is also much
appreciated, as I'm a bit of a RAID-newbie.

Regards,

Lucas