Re: unment dependencies - force?

Curtis Vaughan said:
> I believe this is because I have a partial testing/woody environment
> that I often get errors when trying to configure certain applications
> like the following.  My question is, what can I do when I get such
> errors. Is it advisable to force installation?
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  libglib1.2-dev: Depends: libglib1.2 (= 1.2.10-4) but 1.2.10-6 is to be
> installed
> E: Sorry, broken packages

what I would do(this may not be the correct way but it works much of
the time):

1) backup /var/lib/dpkg/status
2) edit /var/lib/dpkg/status, find the line which has libglib 1.2 1.2.10-4
and change it to -6 instead

since it's such a minor version difference it probably won't cause any
trouble. it would be advisable to write this change down somewhere so you know
that you tricked the system into this.

nate