Re: locales ....

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:00:20PM +0200, Andrew Fowler wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 15:19, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > I used the language-env package to configure for French. It handles all
> > shells and
> > X windows too. I don't know about the howto's, I found information
> > specific to
> > French in the French Debian documentation. I don't know if there is similar
> > documentation for German.
>
> Thanks, managed to get a little further with that.  Still can't get Euro
> or European language characters in terminal though.  Did you ever get
> that working ?

Don't know if this'll help you, so here goes nothing...

Don't know if you are using gdm to log in, but it took me quite some
time to figure out that gdm sets the locale for you when you log in. It
defaults to use the locale you used at your previous login and I kept on
ending up with C no matter what I put in /etc/environment. All that was
needed was to tell gdm to use another locale for one login, and voila!

/M

--
Magnus Therning (magus@lysator.liu.se)