Dosemu can't find vga font

After a recent upgrade of dosemu it won't find a suitable font.
In /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf I have:

_X_font = "vga"                # basename from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/*
                        # (without extension) e.g. "vga".

but dosemu says "unable to open font "vga". I've seen this after other
upgrades but can't remember how it got fixed. There is of course a vga
font in the above directory.

It then tries 9x15, which is the font I have in my xterms, but it
doesn't find that either. I can run plain dosemu (i.e. not the X
version) but that has keyboard problems of its own.

Anyone come across this or found a solution?

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic