Re: x startup

Billy Bump wrote:

ok the touch pad in not cracked but it does not work in any configuration
windows98, linux, mandrake kde.  It quit and I have not fixed it yet.  It
has been disabled in the cmos to stop the computer from looking for it
because it draws error messages when booting in dos for windows.

Okay; that answers the question sufficiently well I believe; there's a physical problem with the trackpad, so we'll ignore it.

ctl alt f1 didn't do anything ctl alt f2 took me to a virtual termainal and
i sign on and got no movement of the square.  I have seen the square in
to look for its just not there.
I tried the "ps ax | grep [g]pm  i got no wessage back
i tried      ps ax | grep gpm and i got  961 tty1   s  0:00 grep gpm
Okay, so gpm is not running. At this point you can do one of two things:
1) Try to get X working with the mouse
or
2) Install/configure gpm in order to learn what works for the mouse. I'd do this, simply because you don't have to try starting X everytime you want to test your mouse configuration. Once you've figured out a working configuration, you could then get X and gpm to work together, or uninstall gpm.

Assuming you want to try option 2:
"apt-get install gpm"
It'll ask some configuration questions. If whatever answers you provide don't work, you can re-rerun the configuration utility by executing "gpmconfig" (or you can manually edit /etc/gpm.conf and then manually restart gpm to test).

Since the mouse is on the usb port, the location of your mouse probably needs to be set to "/dev/input/mice". However, this is dependent on if the correct usb support is configured for your laptop. For now, assume that it is, and install gpm (or run gpmconfig) and specify "/dev/input/mice" as the location of your mouse. Alternatively, if you don't want to use gpm, reconfigure /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to look to "/dev/input/mice" instead of "/dev/gpmdata".

Let us know the results.

Billy Bump wrote:
The laptop is a gateway 2300 p200 with neomagic video card and tft display
and a  4.1 gb harddrive.  The touch pad does not work at all i have been
working to fix it but is broken now.
the trackball is pu=luged into the usb port and the system looks to
/dev/gmpdata and i guess yes to the gmp question i'm not sure
If gpm is installed and configured to repeat mouse movement data (repeat type = raw), then X can look to the device "/dev/gpmdata" to read that data. Otherwise, if X is configured to read the mouse port directly, it'll conflict with gpm's processes. In other words/dev/gpmdata is what you want X looking at if you have gpm installed. If you don't have gpm installed, you want the real mouse device instead (something like /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/input/mice, etc).

Kent