No core files being created

Title: No core files being created

I just recently switched from FreeBSD to Debian 3.0 and transported my current C project
over to this platform. My project crashed today and did not generate a core file.
Ulimit -a reports that cores are set to 0. When I type ulimit -c unlimited and forced a core dump
it created the core file just fine. So I edited /etc/security limits.conf for my user account to set
the hard and soft values of core files to 9000 (seeing as I could not set it to unlimited). I then sourced
limits.conf, logged out and ulimit -a showed the change just fine. I forced a core dump again and
did not get a core file this time. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? If I set ulimit -c to unlimited
and force a core dump I get one just fine, but once I log out and force a core dump again I do not
get a core file. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
-PNyhan