Re: rage128 and dri (?)

sent to poster in error.  message to list below.

On Monday 21 October 2002 14:17, Phil Reardon wrote:
> I am trying to get XFree86 4.2 to like my rage 128 video card.   I
> can get a grey X screen up and mouse around, but thats all.  When I
> ctrl-alt-backspace, I see these messages on the console:  I am
> running kernel 2.4.18 - bf2.4 on sid.
>
> (EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
> (EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed because of a version
> mismatch. [dri]   r128.o kernel module version is 2.1.6 but version
> 2.2 or greater is needed.
> [dri]   Disabling the DRI
> (EE) R128(0): [drm] failed to remove DRM signal handler
> DRIUnlock called when not locked.
>
> I do not know what DFP, dri or drm refers to, but the need for
> version 2.2 of r128.o seems clear.  How can I get that at least?
>
> Thanks in advance,  Phil Reardon

which rage128 are you using?  use lspci to tell you.  my newish rage
128 pro TF requires the 4.2 x drivers now available in unstable.
that should give you a workable 2d x screen.

to have 3d acceleration (dri), take a look at
http:/dri.sourceforge.net as suggested to me by volker cordes on
september 19 on this list.

hth

bob