Re: kernel upgrading

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:48:22AM -0700, np rpr wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am a new debian user. and am trying to upgrade my
> machine to  2.4.19, I downloaded the image and tried
> deb -i kernel-image.. it told me to add initrd=/initrd
> under vmlinuz, I did that but when I tried lilo.. I
> got the error that initrd doesn't exist. According to
> the message I am supposed to edit
> /etc/kernel-img.conf.
> But I couldn't find this file?
>
> For initrd I know in RH I used to issue the command
> mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img 2.4.19, but it doesn't seem
> to work here...How can I overcome on this issues and
> what are the all things I need to do in order to
> upgrade my kernel.
>
> Is there any way so that my kernel and other dependent
> packages can be automatically upgraded by using
> dselect or any other command.. please tell me I am not
> much familiar with these as I am using debian very
> first time.

When you install the kernel-image package, the initrd image gets
installed in /boot/initrd-img-2.4.19-xxx, where xxx is the flavor of
kernel you have installed.

If you install kernel-package, the man page and a sample file for
/etc/kernel-img.conf will be installed.

I haven't used lilo for quite a while (grub rocks!), so don't know the
correct format for specifying the initrd file, but the lilo (or
lilo.conf) man page should help.