Re: cross platform development

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:19:12AM +0000, linux4bene@pandora.be wrote:
> For instance, if one was going to make a project that runs on both platforms and
> can be worked on from both platforms, and you don't want to use java and
> revert to c++, how could you accomplish such a thing?

> -IDE: I can't think of an ide that is crossplatform. A free one for windows is
>  Dev-C++. A don't know of a good one under linux since i haven't used linux
>  yet to develop c++ code in.

I do all programming in vi(m) which can be run in both GNU/Linux and
Windows.  I then use gcc/g++ to compile in GNU/Linux.  I believe Dev-C++
also implements this compiler so that shouldn't be an issue.

> Source code:
> -The gui library used would have to be crossplatform. The one i've looked at so
>  far is wxWindows. Other good ones?

I'm currently using libSDL in the game I'm trying to make.  So far I've
been able to compile and run it in both GNU/Linux and Windows.

> I'm just wondering if this is feasable both for business applications and games.
> Anybody working on such a project?

I'm making this small and crappy game myself, so not much experience,
but I am able to work on either platform and compile and run the program
on both platforms.

--
Jason Stechschulte  {*}  stech@ypisco.com  {*}  http://www.ypisco.com