Re: lousy browsers

My gratitude to all who responded (I learned a lot), and my real
apologies for the bad temper of my message (one written in a white
heat of frustration).

I hadn't known about Phoenix and it certainly looks very promising
(sort of in the same way that Skipstone did or does).

I had forgotten that Konqueror could be used outside the KDE
environment and I'm experimenting with that. Very good so far (though
I haven't got a version yet which supports https; probably I need to
install the kde-crypto-libs).

On machines at the level of quality I'm dealing with here (for a
graduate student lab in a public university in a state with a looming
budget crisis, you are not given top of the line stuff), Mozilla is
just too slow and unresponsive.

I like Galeon a lot (it's my principal browser), and I've been pushing
it on people here, but users just haven't seen the stability that is
claimed for it. Admittedly, it crashes sort of gracefully, but for
users here at least (who are no klutzier than users anywhere else and
are probably more clueful than most) it crashes often (bad bookmark
files, printing, calling external programs, or for no discernible
reason at all). But presumably it will become less fragile.

But what I was most grateful to learn about was ways of maybe
resolving apparent X server lock-ups without having to reboot.

Thank you,

Jim