Re: How to pronounce "Debian"?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:51:05PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:

> According to whom?  There are also several cities in the states that are
> named Oregon, and AFAIK, they all pronounce it "or-eh-gon."  You guys
> are the weird ones.

Well, Oregon hasn't "gon" anywhere.  I've noticed this pronounciation
tends to be a rural one, usually heard in areas with high counts of
Texan or otherwise midwestern imports.  They're wrong.  Go someplace
closer to Oregon City and Champoeg (shampoo-egg), two of the oldest
cities in the state (or for that matter, anywhere else in the
Willamette (Will-am-it, not William-ette) Valley).

> > We're not the only locale with a pronounciation different than you
> > would think from the spelling: Quebec is pronounced "kay-beck,"
>
> Bah, that's not relevant.  The pronunciation of Quebec is phonetically
> correct in its native language.

Yes, this is true, though some western Canadians (sometimes
deliberately to thumb thier nose at the French) pronounce it
kwa-beck.  Americans almost never pronounce it correctly.

> Hey, this thread is almost coming around full-circle, because the
> pronunciation of "Debian" doesn't really match its spelling either.
> Maybe this thread will even become on-topic again.

Well, actually, even before I knew the entemology and pronounciation,
I was pronouncing it the right way.  Debian's phonetic.

--
Baloo