Re: How to pronounce "Debian"?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 10:57:37AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Actually, if we're getting really specific, the natives call
> > "or-eh-gun" home.
>
> My point exactly.  This is why anyone actually from Oregon shouldn't be
> insulting others' pronunciations, because they can't even pronounce the
> name of their state correctly themselves.  :b

Actually, "or-eh-gun" is the correct pronounciation.  We're not the
only locale with a pronounciation different than you would think from
the spelling:  Quebec is pronounced "kay-beck," Couch Street in
Portland is "Kooch," Yachats, OR is pronounced "Ya-hots, or-eh-gun."

I'm sure it annoys the Quebecois that hardly anybody outside thier
province knows how to say thier name, similarly, Oregonians get
annoyed that people somehow forgot how to say our state's name from
school and don't understand why people outside of Oregon, Idaho,
Alaska, Washington, Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta and
part of Montana have no grasp whatsoever on how to pronounce local
names, especially the name of our state.  It's not *that* hard.

--
Baloo