Re: Lighter window managers

> What are some good window managers that are even more light weight,
> have less options (simpler to configure), and work well?

I've found blackbox to be light weight, flexible, and very fast.

> I'm into functionality more than flashness.
>
> A large desktop that uses the screen as a window onto it would be useful.
> A pop-up menu to select applications, and icons for applications would
> be useful, but i don't mind editing the config file for this capability.

Blackbox doesn't have icons on the desktop by default, but if you really
want them you can run gmc and it will give them to you.  Personally I
just setup keyboard combinations with bbkeys to run the applications
that I want.  There is also an application called bbconf that makes
customizing bb a breeze.

> Is anything extra needed to run a gnome or kde application?

Nope as long as you have the applications and libs that are required you
should be set.

--
David