Re: Sorting processes by disk usage?

Try KDE wrote:
Hi,

Here is the situation: the hard drive LED is flashing every 2 seconds, I don't which process is causing it, or if it's a kernel thread doing swapping or something. So how can I find out? "top" doesn't seem to answer that question. (Note that a disk intensive program is not neccesarrily CPU intensive).

Thanks,
-tk

I had this a while back on my DEC Alpha. I suspected usage of the SWAP partition, but I never could "see" it. For other reasons, I increased my memory from 64 Megs to 256 Megs and it stopped! Someone much smarter than I told me it was "page swapping"...whatever that means. If your RAM memory is a little on the schosi side and you are running memory-hungry apps like Mozilla or KDE, then an infusion of RAM might help....dunno.

FYI,

-Don Spoon-