Re: roasted harddisk

on Sun, Oct 20, 2002, Burkhard Ritter (burkhard@sportident.de) wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have roasted a harddisk. Now if I do a fsck, I get I/O-errors for
> some blocks. I have marked all this blocks as bad-blacks. I still get
> the errors, but not for specific blocks. Do you think I can use this
> hd as the destroyed area is marked as bad-blocks and should not be
> used? Are there other possibilities to "repair" the disk?

Though I generally agree with the sentiment that storage media which
exhibit *any* signs of flakiness should be RMAd post haste, there are
some possible rescue/recovery methods.  They *mostly* apply to *newer*
disks, which show up suspect:

  - Check your hdparm settings.  Several of these can conflict with
    hardware preferences.  I mostly view hdparm as deep black arts, so
    inquire elsewhere for what to try.

  - For newer (e.g.:  Maxtor 133), use an add-on 133 PCI-IDE controller.
    This plugs into one of your PCI slots, and may function better with
    the drive.  We revived one brand-new system at work this way, no
    further errors in three months of heavy use.

  - Motherboard clock speed.  The boss swears he once cleared up drive
    errors (CRC redundancy check) by _over_clocking his motherboard one
    notch.  Again, heavy juju, but a possible last-ditch method.

In general, I'd ***STRONGLY*** recommend you try to get a bitwise image
of any suspect media as soon as it starts showing any signs of flakiness
-- 'dd' it to a new drive.  And revisit your backup and recovery
strategy.

Peace.

   VAR with attitude -- Automation Access:  http://www.aaxnet.com/